Keynote: Why Social Media “Likes” Say More Than You Might Think by Dr. Jennifer Golbeck, Human-Computer Interaction Lab, University of Maryland #ISC2015 #MRX


MRALive blogged from the 2015 MRA Insights & Strategies Conference, June 3-5, 2015 in San Diego. Any errors or bad jokes are my own.

  • how much do two strangers online trust each other? you need to know about the people themselves first.
  • social media data can give you accurate data, even when used in a simple way
  • can predict introversion, political leaning, procrastination, personal health habits from your posts
  • likes on facebook are always public, can use this to predict many things
  • top four likes most indicative of high intelligence include science, thunderstorms, colbert report, and liking the page for curly fries. For low intelligence, the like was for the page “i love being a mom” But these don’t truly relate to intelligence.
  • homopholy – we are friends with people who are like us, our traits are more common among friends than among random people.
  • you just need one smart person to like a page and then it spreads like a virus to all your friends
  • we’re really good at predicting sexual orientation, even in places where being gay could get you executed
  • how does a store like Target figure out you’re pregnant, not from pregnancy tests, – an extra bottle of vitamins, a bigger purse, brightly coloured rugs together are a statistical connection
  • how can you know what these statistical combinations are?
  • can your social media network figure out which friend is your spouse? you know which friends are friends with each other and nothing else. Often it is the person with the most friends in common. But look at social dispersion instead, eg., your sports friends, your school friends, your family friends, your work friends. Dispersion is who is connected to the most of your groups – that is the spouse about 75% of the time. the other 25% is a good indicator that youre going to break up your relationship
  • can predict postpartum depression from social media content.
  • how easy is it to get data?
  • takethislollipop.com – makes a video out of your social media accounts, try it if you think all your settings are private
  • we leak a lot of data, we don’t realize how much data apps are pulling
  • it’s not all bad – apps recommend products you might like, google uses it to make the web easier to interact with
  • we don’t have control over it – don’t know who has data or what they’re doing with it
  • even though the algorithms are smart, we still don’t buy whatever the algorithm says we might like. but they tell us things we would never think about but we actually want
  • treat your business algorithms as useful but realize some are wrong or shouldn’t be acted on, it’s one more piece of advice
  • [jen needs no slides, she changes every 5 or 10 minutes just for the heck of it, impressive]
  • how do you figure out which people like the targeting or don’t like the targeting
  • you don’t want to be the creepy facebook stalker guy, it needs to be handled with care

%d bloggers like this: