Live blogging from the Net Gain 2015 conference in Toronto, Canada. Any errors or bad jokes are my own.
Emerging Technologies – Are They Still Emerging?
Lenny Murphy, Editor-in-Chief of GreenBook Blog and GRIT Report
- Attitudinal, behavioural, and intrinsic data
- Foundational research is no longer taking months but hours
- Moving from questioning to discussing, from asking to observing, from data to insight, from understanding to predicting, from the big survey to data streams, from rational to behavioural, from quarterly to real time, from siloed to converged
- the traditional survey as the primary driver of information will decline
- Data science is not a hoity toity term for a statistician. It’s information technology and algorithms and languages and hadoop and R. It’s statistics on steroids.
- The future looks very different.
- Over the next five years, we are in the realm of DIY, non-conscious measurement is emerging such as facial scanning and automated emotion measuring, automation and AI in terms of very very smart devices, internet of things where all of your things will collect and share data from your shoes to your car, virtual and augmented reality will change our media habits
- DIY – there are many free DIY tools
- The ‘make it’ revolution – consumers can ‘print’ their own things, print some shoes, do an ideation session using a printer. cost of these devices can be as low as $100.
- Emotional measurement – facial scanning, shopping behaviour videos, eye tracking
- AI – tons of money going here, google has spent millions on quantum computers, these will just be part of everything we do
- Internet of Things – Internet as we know it might disappear. Daily lives are just always all connected. e.g., Microsoft’s hololense.
- Do a virtual shopping experience without a computer. But you still feel like you are in the store.
- Imagine a connect fridge [will it shop for me once it notices I’m out of BREAD AND MILK!!]
- Google Glass succeeded in every aspect they hoped. The real product will come out in the next couple of years.
- Gamification has never taken hold but many companies are working in this area. Game to map out neurons.
- Which companies will be our competitors for clients and budget? Google, IBM, Apple, facebook, AOL, Verizon, Comcast, Disney, at&t, GE, groupm, WPP, amazon