Live blogging from the Net Gain 2015 conference in Toronto, Canada. Any errors or bad jokes are my own.
Brand Building in a Digital, Social and Mobile Age
Joel Rubinson, President and Founder of Rubinson Partners Inc.
- Picture of brand success has to change
- We are no longer in a push word, consumers pull information at their leisure
- We engage in shopping behaviours even when we aren’t really shopping, we are always IN the path to purchase
- Brands must become media
- Starbucks is the best example of a marketer that gets it. 40 million fans on facebook. millions of website visits. millions have downloaded their app. Every interaction generates data they can use, can be used for personalization, to amplify brand communications. They no longer have to pay for every message.
- The rise of math experts in advertising – lift from using math to place advertising is a repeatable success
- Programmatic messaging is key. Think about impressions that are served up one user at a time. marketers goal is serve the most relevant ad at the right price. And this needs to scale.
- Research is missing in action when it comes to math – we lack digital metrics, still rely on survey based tracking, we have a post-mortem mind set, we are failing to change how marketing works
- We must get serious about integrating digital – why isn’t this happening, why are we locked in a survey world
- Our comfort zone is surveys. We know how to construct 20 minute surveys. Our learning zone is the mobile area where we unpack our surveys into smaller pieces.
- The panic zone is digital, we don’t understand it. We must move digital into the comfort zone.
- lets start by just looking at the data, look at page views, look at themes in social media, how big is your brand audience, how many likes on facebook, how many twitter followers, how many newsletter signups. These are unambiguous measures. Look at clicking and sharing and conversions.
- Stop treating social media as a hobby, not specialty projects, not ancillary thing to look at. You must find ways to increase positive word of mouth.
- Do we really need feedback from consumers every single day on attributes they never consider? Can’t social media which is much more organic do this?
- Bring in data that you can’t get from a survey that has action value. Some online panel companies already use a social login called OAuth. Append all the Facebook data to your survey and use it for targeting.
- Data aggregators have lots of profiling information for targeting ads throughout the web which means different people get different ads based on cookies from their browser
- You can also link in frequent shopper data to your survey data.
- You don’t have to guess whether an ad is working. You can run an experiment and serve the ad to one group of people and see the change in group behaviour.
- MR needs to know that brand meaning is done completely different now. People seek out knowledge, digital delivers information in real time. But marketing research hasn’t changed.
- Think digital and do something big. Shift some money into datascience or integration. Conduct in the moment research with smartphones.