Why. Tell me why.
I know it’s not because the speaker organizers didn’t try. I know it’s not because there aren’t qualified female speakers. So what it leaves is this.
- Women think they aren’t qualified (Sorry, there are plenty of qualified women)
- Women think they have nothing new to talk about (Sorry, women have plenty to talk about)
- Women are too busy (Sorry, you’re no busier than anyone else)
- Women are terrible speakers (Sorry, you’re no worse than anyone else)
- Women aren’t submitting speaker proposals —- Well?
- Women are turning down speaker requests —- Well?
So ladies, the next time a request for proposals comes around, submit a proposal! Think about that awesome project you just worked on and turn it into a presentation. Ask a great speaker to mentor you so you feel more comfortable as a speaker yourself. Make the time to do it. It’s good for you and your career. Diversity comes in all forms and you are one of them.
Submit. Speak. Make me proud. 🙂
- The Gender Bias Rears its Face #ESOMAR #MRX
- The Conference Presenter Gender Gap #WAPOR #AAPOR #MRX
- Gender bias among #AAPOR presenters