Holiday Shopping with All Screens 24/7
Maria Domoslawska and Roddy Knowles, RESEARCH NOW
- multimode starting with online, going to metered PCs, mobile phones, and then mobile diary GPS tracking which adds more engagement and gets us closer to the consumer
- sample sizes of thousands, conducted around Thanksgiving
- partnered with Experian for Hitwise data, tracked the top 20 retailers
- 3% of people used mobile for purchasing but we will see mobile did play a central role
- saw spikes for black friday and cyber monday on PC traffic
- even though people aren’t necessarily shopping on their phone, the phone is with them at all times, they use their phones while they shop a lot more than they used to
- 40% of consumers say they LIKE the huge crowds in the UK, and plan to do this
- 31% of people made only unplanned purchases, impulse
- 26% made planned and unplanned purchases
- purchase planning by store – more unplanned at CJP, Macy’s, Kohl’s – clothing stores
- in the UK, they plan to buy after Christmas, they give gifts on boxing day because they know they can get a better deal
- more planned purchases for bigger ticket items like appliances and electronics
- flowers and small gifts were mostly unplanned
- ask people to take photos of their receipt – would people actually do it? and are panelists buying what they said they bought – did they forget something?
- used the mobile diary to determine if people could actually find what they were looking for
- were able to capture basket spend via diary data and determine average expenditure by store, matched well with responder data so people were able to recall quite accurately
- 74% say gift giving makes them feel good
- Key takeaways:
- multi-country tracking help find subtle changes in your market which can become a big creative idea for your next program
- mobile is in shopper’s lives and will not go away. it is an essential device for shopping even if they aren’t actually purchasing on their device
- getting close to the point of experience yields rich and accurate data on shopping behaviours
- not every datapoint is going to add value but layering survey data with new variables of passive behavioural data can activate your hypothesis
- Should a panel be representative of the population?
- Humanizing surveys: Why did you screen me out after I told you my age?
- Economy or Healthcare: What matters most to Americans today?
- What is Vue magazine? Find every article here!