OPENING MORNING KEYNOTE
Hacking H(app)iness – How to Give Big Data
John Havens, Founder, THE H(APP)ATHON PROJECT, Author, HACKING H(APP)INESS- WHY YOUR PERSONAL DATA COUNTS AND HOW TRACKING IT CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
- What are YOU worth? What are WE worth? Money? Home life, family
- I think therefore I am… I sync therefore I am – our identity is our data
- It’s more than being on facebook. Lots of people are on facebook via photos and references even though they have never touched facebook.
- Lots of things happen without seeing them – sound waves, stress – but can be quantified regardless – facial recognition technology, MRIs
- You can wear a device that measures your health or diet or fitness. Allows you to collect a lot of data without deciding exactly what you want to measure.
- what is a data broker? [i have no idea]
- privacy should be considered as control, privacy is personal. do i have the right to see copies of data collected on me
- the property that you collected, the data that you gathered, that’s ME.
- get people to trust your use of their data and they will share more with you
- people who are happier need less medication
- hedonic happiness goes up and down as good and bad things happen; unomonic happiness is intrinsic well-being such as altruism which makes you feel like you have purpose
- you can be choiceful about what you allow into your brain – you CAN turn off the 11 pm news, tell yourself 3 three you are happy about
- “Do you want to go consume a movie?” “Do you want to consume a barbie doll?” This is not how people communicate with each other
- Would you wear every wearable device if someone gave you $20 000? Only if you trust them [yeah, not happening for me!]
- People think the word consumer is impersonal, commoditized, transactional, negative. Why do we keep on using this word?
- Consumers WANT to be called guest, shopper, friend, client, valued, customer, person, partner, patron
- Stop calling them consumers. the paradigm won’t change. the relationship won’t change. [I’ve switched. I call people people now.]
- What are you worth? Not money.
- Should a panel be representative of the population?
- Humanizing surveys: Why did you screen me out after I told you my age?
- Economy or Healthcare: What matters most to Americans today?
- What is Vue magazine? Find every article here!