Live blogging from the Qual360 conference in Toronto, Canada. Any errors or bad jokes are my own.
Location Panels: Opting in to sharing your every movement
Andrea Eatherly, Head of Operations, Placed
- privacy is a major issue, panel is triple opt-in – 1) download app, we will measure your location 2) second as downloading app 3) registering for panel
- rewards are provided, lots of people are getting my data anyways so people might as well be rewarded for it
- insights are all aggregated by demographics etc
- in-store tracking is not opt-in, if your wi-fi is on, you are trackable
- Opt-out approaches to location – little to no notification to consumer, no value exchange
- Opt-in means they get demographics, they can send survey questions to create a loop
- Understand store traffic, by demographics, in real-time, makes it possible to predict ups and downs in retail sales
- Connect mobile to in-store activity – watch people search the internet at home and then see which stores they actually go into to shop for the product
- can figure out whether people using certain apps are more likely to visit certain grocery stores
- People who watched the biggest loser were more likely to visit fast food chains – an aspirational market
- People who watched survivor are more likely to go to gyms, fitness stores – good for marketing purposes
- Can see which shopping apps different retailer shoppers use – walmart vs target vs kohls vs JCPenney, those people all prefer different apps
- What other stores are your starbacks shoppers going into, competitive stores?
- Monitor whether ads people see on computer result in people going to the retail store
- Information can be used to target ads to the right people – your consumers like these specific stores about these categories and these price points
- Peanut Labs Ask-Me-Anything with special guest Tom Ewing
- Peanut Labs Ask-Me-Anything with special guest Kristin Luck
- What is Vue magazine?
- Innovation for insights into the Millennial Moms’ Online Shopping by Annie Iverson and John Williamson #Qual360
- Designing with packaging usability in mind by Claudia Del Lucchese #Qual360
- Behavioural Economics Can Finally Explain Human Behaviour
- What is a convenience sample?