Live blogging from the MRIA/CMA #CMACX customer experience conference in Toronto. Any errors or bad jokes are my own.
Don Mayo, Managing Director, IMI International; Kyle McMann, Group VP, Integrated Sales, National Hockey League
- Take an experience of dissatisfaction and create positive engagement
- The way we engage the most important people will be the deciding factor in whether you win or lose
- Do it right – stop doing what doesn’t work, that gives you money to do more of what’s right
- Goal is to get 80% of initiatives working, not just 50%
- In sports, the purchase funnel is passion
- Need to consider stats, history, traditions, game understanding, players, events, team rivalry – but not everyone knows all of these things.
- Most people can understand team rivalry and events even if they don’t know the game
- Goal is to grow fan value
- 80% of viewership is predicated on whether their favorite team is playing
- There was no League Halo for our clubs
- Need to deepen fan engagement – use new platforms and create entryways for new fans – national event platforms. And this ought to start as soon as the season starts not 6 weeks into the season. Today, compared to 6 years ago, there are many more events. Bring in big name musicians to show that it’s more than just hockey, it’s an activation point for corporate buyers.
- Need to have big matchups in big venues to drive fan behaviour
- Add more to it. Turn celebrations into TV shows and week long events. Avid fans really want to know and casual fans just want to see the hot guy.
- Need to meet fan needs on ANY device. Build the platforms that fans want in the voice they want at the time they want.
- Let the fans who will be on the cover of _______.
- Need to break through tribalism. 50% drop out if their team isn’t playing. All these activities delayed the loss of markets as teams were eliminated.
- Twice as many avid fans as any other major sports property in Canada. Grown 7% in past 5 years. 73%of 13-65 of Canadians are fans of NHL.
- 5% more fans pay close attention to promotions for the NHL now.
- Television + digital + word of mouth are the 3 awareness sources
- If you know it’s going to be -15 degrees at an outdoor game, sponsor a ‘warming’ tent and don’t even try to sell your product in it. Don’t need to move them indoors, fans are still happy if you treat them right.
- Peanut Labs Ask-Me-Anything with special guest Tom Ewing
- Peanut Labs Ask-Me-Anything with special guest Kristin Luck
- Behavioural Economics Can Finally Explain Human Behaviour
- The toughness of soft skills by Steven Tramposch, Heineken #CMACX #MRX
- Mix in a little India #CMACX #MRX
- How Mondelez captured the heart of Canadians during the Sochi Olympics #CMACX #MRX
- Mind, Mood, Music, and Marketing by A.K. Pradeep (Great talk!) #CMACX #MRX