Nearly every conference I go to leaves me feeling inspired, re-energized, and ready to take on whatever crazy new challenge comes my way. After reviewing the MRIA annual conference schedule, it’s looking like inspiration is on the menu there too. I’m hoping that a bit of chocolate is also on the menu, but I’ll have to be patient on that front (I do see a presentation by KitKat….).
The three talks I am most looking forward to:
- Sobeys and Ad Hoc Research, A qualitative case study by Stephen Thompson and Sylvie Croteau. Conferences and researchers tend to focus too much on quantitative research and not enough on qualitative research. Good researchers are familiar with quant AND qual so I always look forward to the qual presentations to keep me on top of the entire research front, not just my comfort zone.
- Unilever and Millward Brown, Is a good American ad always a good Canadian ad. When I travel the world, it’s easy to see that Canadians and Americans are essentially one people. But within North America, we seem to be from different planets. It always interests me to see just how different our similar cultures are and this presentation is certain to deliver.
- Client Side Researcher Panel with Tricia Benn. I don’t know about you but I always find myself trying to figure out what client side researchers are thinking. They have the category background and the marketing insider knowledge which guides their research processes. And I have…. research expertise. It’s like we’re speaking different languages and I need to do whatever I can to better understand where they’re coming from. Please teach me!
Even better, Niagara Falls in a major tourist hub so I’m looking forward to a few slightly less educational aspects of the trip too. Here are the three fun things I am most looking forward to:
- Old Fort Erie – Beyond being a historical site for Canada, the fact that this was the Underground Railroad’s northern terminous for almost a hundred years makes it doubly important.
- Niagara Gorge Trailhead – Sure the Falls are nice, but I want to get right down at water level. I plan to find the stairs that take you right down the water’s edge and look for the trilobite fossils that are supposed to be everywhere.
- Butterfly Museum – Yes, there are butterflies in my garden but they never stand still for a photo and they never land on my head. I’m pretty sure that won’t be a problem here!
I hope to see you there!
- Giving the Gift of Insight: Janine Keogh (mriablog.wordpress.com)
- Needs and wants in the market research space #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- Esomar Best of Bulgaria: Brought to you by BAMOR #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)