Welcome to this series of live blogs from the Market Research in the Mobile World Conference in Cincinnati. With so many sessions, I’m only blogging about a few sessions each day. All posts appear within minutes after the speaker has finished. Any errors, omissions, or silly side comments are my own. I’ll also be providing end of day summary blog posts for Esomar so keep your eyes peeled for those as well.
Brooks Pettus Qualvu, Scott Slagle Chrysler Group: Delivering Business Value through Smarter Research
- Take research TO the participant and engage on their schedule
- Optimal ethnographic tool is visual in the moment reactions. More accurate decisions, more long term engagement, anywhere, untethered
- Mobile lets people film their lives as they live it or drive it. Tell people they don’t have to clean their house or car. Just video your regular life.
- Chrysler crossed Need with Conviction [as in I need a naniamo bar and I will find one before this week is out]
- “it’s all about collaboration” This is the major change from last year
- Market research is ill. We suffer from low self-esteem. Treatment is being the expert.
- Researchers are bad at evaluating research. We forget the hidden assumptions and limitations. [hear hear]
- Eyetracking: Great for measuring attention. Store shelves don’t come in 4 feet sections as in a research focus group. Mobile lets you see behaviours in real life.
- Neuromarketing: We don’t know what the hell it measures. Electrical impulses, blood flow are measured. We can measure “stuff.” We don’t know what it means but we get pretty pictures. [love it!] We buy out of habit not because we have an emotional attachment to our toilet bowl cleaner.
- Facial Imaging: Too complex for many people to know how to do it well. All humans share 7 emotions. Paul Ekman will train you in 40 minutes for $39.95. That’s hardly too complex. If you can’t do this, you shouldn’t be in MR.
- Mobile: response rates are better but the answers you get are different. No proof it’s better [if the data weren’t different I’d be very suspicious]
- Could have also picked on social media [please do! would love to hear that]
- Job is to predict what shoppers will buy
- Qual is why, not just what, where, when. No environment is device free. 20% use phone on bike!
- Phones are personal items, they aren’t just a way to make a call.
- Communities let you do reflective probing, there is social pressure to contribute, there is interpretation by crowd.
- Community via mobile is very possible [think about using facebook or twitter, it’s really no different]
- Mobile + MROC is friends with benefits.
- A Plea to the Canadian Government #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- That’s Me, The New Editor-In-Chief of MRIA’s Vue Magazine #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- The Top 10 Things We Love About Social Media Research #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- I hate social media research because: there are no demographics #1 #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- What Market Research in the Mobile World means to me #MRX #MRMW (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- Every minute, every day, here is what happens on the internet… #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)