Welcome to my #Netgain6 MRIA live blogs. What happens at St. Andrews Conference Centre, gets blogged for all to read about. Each posting is published immediately after the speaker finishes. Any inaccuracies are my own. Any silly comments in [ ] are my own. Enjoy!
Malcolm De Leo, Chief Evangelist, NetBase
Understanding Sentiment Analysis: Methodology and Relevance to Market Research
- Do you trust social media research? Do you research opinions online before you buy a product? Is your answer the same for both?
- 5 years ago there were 300 tweets per day and 200 million tweets per day now
- 53% of people on twitter recommend companies or products in their tweets
- The average consumer mentions specific brands over 90 times per week in conversations with friends, family, co-workers
- Will research replace or augment? It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
- Surveys remove and include biases all the time.
- Challenge is not finding social media data because there is tons of it.
- The world is no longer B to C, it’s now C to B. We can’t even keep up with the marketplace.
- We are comfortable with numbers are removing bias but we still resist. We know social media is the wave of the future but we aren’t seizing the opportunity to control it.
- Consider NLP versus text analytics vs keyword searching when doing sentiment analysis. Precision is key.
- Covert passion – mentioning a hashtag. Overt passion – saying you love something about the hashtag
- Market research companies wear no clothes – we can measure any of them anytime we want.
- Your suggestion box is public – people will talk about you online no matter whether you want them to
- Netgain 6.0: An MRIA Social Media Workshop by Annie Pettit
- New book! The Listen Lady: A novel and social media research guide baked into one
- Engaging the high tech consumer: Bob Fawson #Netgain6
- Riding the Change Wave: Lenny Murphy #Netgain6
- Finding the Right Social media Mix: Julie Wittes Schlack #Netgain6
- The Lizard Made you do it!: Indivar Kushari #Netgain6