Live blogs by @LoveStats! This is a session summary from The Market Research Event by IIR in Orlando, Florida, November 2011. It was posted mere minutes after completion of the talk. Any inaccuracies are my own. Any humorous side remarks are also my own. Feel free to leave comments and critiques. *** ***
The Wonder behind Disney’s Website
How online conversations help Disney capture the voice &
language of their guest
Jacque Skinner, Market Research Manager, Walt Disney
Parks & Resorts & Jen Drolet, VP, iModerate Research
- As long as there is imagination in the world, Disney will never be complete – across the globe but always true to original dream, bringing people together, providing a break from reality
- People are not clients but guests, staff are castmembers no matter their role in the company, they are all part of what makes it all work
- Every touch point needs to be magical, even if it’s creating a new survey
- Don’t built it for yourself, know what people want and build it for them
- Website needs to set the right tone, it’s the beginning of the magic. They benchmark against in-park experience. Delivering magic online is different from the park. It has to do good on first visit and 20th visit.
- Get down to the site, eat at the park, stay in the park, lunch with the guests, get to know them
- Quant is insufficient. Need to layer in conversations. Sometimes, the verbatim brings the quant to life. “Your site is crap. Was it made by Joe’s Website Shack?”
- Researchers had to learn a whole new language – the Disney language
- There is a personalized section of the website, a planning tool. Research said this was number 1 complaint. Antiquated platform. Didn’t talk to other platforms. Weak operating systems. Ten year old website doesn’t cut it. Why should people remember a stupid registration number? Need hotel/dining/etc available in one page so it could be printed in one shot.
- It needed to be one “click of the mouse”🙂
- How do you name the personalized site? With the person’s name? “Smith” Family Website – kind of exclusionary for blended families with different last names, didn’t address not everyone is going as a family. Or name it “Planning Center” for people just starting on the website. But once reservation is booked, then content changes for someone who is post booking.
- Instead of a regular dip, they saw an instant increase in satisfaction.