Live blogs by @LoveStats! This is a session summary from The Market Research Event by IIR in Orlando, Florida, November 2011. It was posted mere minutes after completion of the talk. Any inaccuracies are my own. Any humorous side remarks are also my own. Feel free to leave comments and critiques. *** ***
The Global Consumer
Dan Salzman, Vice President, Consumer & Market Insights, Hewlett Packard
- [All i’m thinking is that HP social media data is full of horsepower and harry potter data🙂 ]
- How does HP think about the global consumer?
- #1 Where are the people, where is the money
- focus on demographic growth, world grows 75 million per year, last week we reached 7 billion people on the earth, developed market growth where most of the money is is very small growth; growth is in asia; Growth is beyond BRIC countries; Africa, nigeria are emerging; Africa will have four of the top growing countries in 2050
- China WILL surpass the US as a global economy by 2050, it will be the largest economy, driven by population growth
- 1000 new mobile users every minute, 84% of internet users are outside the US; growth is MASSIVE in china, 92% growth compared to US 17%
- What does access to information do? Overthrow dictatorships. Changes how we make decisions. We don’t have to do what we are told. Not obligated to follow through on expectations. Check veracity of claims.
- This creates a homogeneity of consumer experience for consumers. Lets brands speak to us in shorthand.
- Globalization pressures culture and tradition. People worry aspects of their culture will disappear.
- Developed West is Maslow’s needs – Physiological, safety, social and emotional, esteem; Developing East is Pinto’s needs – Physiological, Need to please the group, good name, honour [cool!]
- Think global but act local. team structure, research approach, customized output.
- Global segments didn’t show up in every country. Local countries defined the names of each segment. Allowed local digression.
- 1 global summary, 3 regional summaries, 8 country reports, Customized views by audience, topics