This is a live blog posting from the Esomar 3D conference in Miami. Written, summarized, and posted just minutes after the speaker has finished. Any inaccuracies are my own. Any humorous side-notes are mine as well. Be sure to catch blogs from @Jhenning, @Experidge, and @TomEwing as well.
Philip Sheldrake, Founding Partner, Meanwhile, UK
Author of “The Business of Influence: Reframing Marketing and PR for the Digital Age”
- What is influence? You have been influenced when you think in a way you wouldn’t otherwise have thought or do something you wouldn’t otherwise have done.
- If you’re in business, you’re in the business of influence. [I never thought of it like that. I’ve just been influenced.]
- He tempts us with a video and then doesn’t show it. 116000 views. Meany! 🙂
- Perception is reality. [Bang on. Made up stories in social media are perceived as true.]
- Over 100 vendors in social analytics. [The number is probably closer to over 300]
- Most CMO”s pay more attention to markets, than individuals. [Agreed – what age group, what target group. But wait, I’m not a group, i’m a person!]
- Should your brand be consistent? The values should be consistent but the brand can evolve. The nimble brands are always, already there.
- There are most phones than people in first world countries. [Wow. Does anyone have a pocket WITHOUT a phone?]
- 250 billion things are connected to the internet. [Right now, my phone and my laptop are connected.]
- RFID codes attched to everything and read by everything. [I’m worried about privacy now. You know how long it takes me to finish a bottle of vodka?! You know my clothes are from Walmart?!]
- [Bingo Word: Penultimate]
- Is there ROI on a reputation? [Absolutely! Nice guys finish best.]
- Social enterprise and socializing the enterprise – this is how we need to adapt [Could these be the buzzwords next year?]
- People in social media aren’t self-presenting, they are just being who they are.
- Your regard for a brand depends on your day – crappy day, crappy brand. [But I think that in that minute, yes, you believe the brand sucks and that is valid.]
- Some companies view a KPI as one Press Release every week [Awesome, I need to do this! First release: “Annie Bakes Bread – Guests Indicate it Tastes Good”]
- Review: The Business of Influence
- Jeffrey Henning’s #ESO3D posts
- Finn Raben: Privacy and Ethics Panel #MRIA2011 (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- Ethical Framework for SMR, Panel #SoMeMR #MRX #li (lovestats.wordpress.com)