Calling all extraverted marketers, shop keepers, and restauranteers.
The world consists of people who are different than you. Have you heard of the personality characteristic called shyness? It seems that many extraverts can’t even conceive of what it must be like to be shy. I suspect most people don’t even think about it, but stores and restaurants are usually designed for extraverted people. So here is some free advice.
1) Do not cover your windows full of posters and curtains and crap. If I can’t see what I’m getting into, I ain’t going in.
2) Do not stand in the doorway. I won’t go in even if you step aside. It’s just too late.
3) If you must greet people at the door, do it quickly and walk away. Otherwise, I’ll walk away.
4) Do not engage me in conversation or light chit chat. I don’t want to do it, nor am I able to do it. See result of #1.
5) Do not stalk me with eager attentiveness. In fact, go to the opposite side of the store.
6) Stalk me from very, very afar, glancing awkwardly out of the corner of your eye until you see me look up and search you out.
7) Price everything. If I have to talk to someone, you’ve just lost a sale.
8 ) Do not ask any extra questions when I go to pay. Don’t ask for my zip code. Don’t ask if I want to sign up for your club. Don’t ask how my day was. Don’t ask for my phone number. (Unless you’re cute. Are you cute?)
9) Do not sell your services by telephone. Do you seriously think i answer it?
And that, my friends, is the short list. I’m sure other folks have some suggestions. I’d love to read your rules so share them here.