Welcome to this series of live blogs from the American Marketing Association’s Research & Strategy Summit in Las Vegas. Any errors, omissions, or silly side comments are my own.
Ian Lewis, Director, Research Impact Consulting, Cambiar LLC
- Fewer than 4 in 10 client researchers said they are thought partners
- Why isn’t everyone buying into short presentations? This is what CEOs want
- Why don’t clients want closer partnerships with agencies” Agenciees want it, clients less so
- Agencies – I never know the whole picture. How can I deliver insights that have business impact?
- Corporate researcher – I get 80 page PPTs when I want insights that solve problems. Why should I invite you in?
- Corporate researchers – You bring me in too late. I need a seat at the table to be more effective.
- Top management – I get data dumps when I want insights that solve problems. Why should I invite you in?
- Clients are much more into integrating innovative research tools than agencies, e.g., MROCs, emotion measurement, new qual.
- Client adoption is slower for neuroscience and biometrics, but it’s still more than among agencies
- Data synthesis focuses on traditional sources like surveys, quant, qual.
- Big data is a potential tsunami that will wash over everything.
- Who do you believe more? 1000 people who answered a boring 20 minute survey, or millions of records of live actual web behaviour?
- Talent types
- management consultants – more toward strategic, future leaders of consumer insights functions
- polymaths – client researchers and full service research partners. good at many different things.
- specialists – insurgent research and technology companies
- 2012 training to focus on power skills – innovative research methods, insights, storytelling, leadership, consulting, synthesis, influencing, integrating, advanced analytics
- What should corporate researcher leaders do? Become thought partners. Leverage the expanding toolkit.
- What should agencies do? Reassess participation strategy, where to compete. And operating strategy, how to compete. And talent. Are you a deep insight partnership? Are you a specialist company? Are you a data provider?
- What does the MR profession need? Must define, attract, educate, and hire the right talent.
- Which half of my digital marketing is working: David Rogers #AMAresearch #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- Media Consumption from the 2012 London Olympics: Wurtzel from NBC, and Fulgoni from comScore #AMAresearch #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- CEOs Speak: Mike Gettle @TNS, David Krajick @GfK, Marc Litvinoff @ORC, Mary Ann Packo @Millward Brown #AMAresearch #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)
- Yay me! David K. Hardin Memorial Award Winner #MRX (lovestats.wordpress.com)